open evenings
student services


Financial Assistance

Financial Assistance for Undergraduate Courses at City College

Tuition Fee

Using the information on your UCAS application and any additional information you have provided us with, we will classify you as a UK/EU or an international student. This is your tuition fee status and determines the tuition fees you pay and your eligibility for student finance. The fees for 2017/18 are £7750 for a Home/EU student and £9250 for an International student. You can find out more about how fees are assessed via this link:  UKCISA (UK Council for International Student Affairs) 

International students

If you have been classified as an international student, further advice on fees and funding will be provided directly to you by our International Team. They can be contacted at

Government student funding

If you are a UK/EU student studying at undergraduate level for the first time, you can apply for funding from the UK Government. Depending on your circumstances, you could be eligible for financial support from the government or other organisations.

The UK government's funding package includes student loans for tuition fees and living costs. Students in certain circumstances may have access to extra help, for example students who have a disability. If you recieve extra help in the form of a grant, you will not have to replay the grant.

How do you apply for student funding?

It is a really good idea to apply early for your student funding. You do not need to wait for your offer. Make sure you send in all the evidence that your student funding body requires. Don't wait for them to ask for evidence to support your application. The quickest and safest way to apply is online. If you are sending documents in the post, make sure you send them by recorded delivery and mark each document with your customer reference number.

Check the processing times for applications; if you haven't heard anything back, phone your student funding body regularly for updates on your application.

Student funding bodies:

If you normally live in England

Student Finance England

0300 555 0505

If you normally live in Northern Ireland

0300 100 0077

If you normally live in Scotland

Student Awards Agency for Scotland

0300 200 0505

If you normally live in Wales

0300 200 4050

If you are from a country of the EU

Student Finance Services

+44 (0) 141 243 3570

Other Financial Support

City College Higher Education Bursary

This bursary is for full-time first year undergraduate students who are normally resident in England or the EU and starting their studies in 2017. Students who satisfy the following criteria will be eligible to receive a cash bursary subject to terms and conditions:

Household income £0-£25,000 - £1000 cash in two instalments
Household income £25,000-£42,600 - £500 cash in two instalments
Students entering their programme with an advanced apprenticeship or a Level 3 national vocational qualification -  £1000 cash in two instalments

All recipients of this bursary must have been assessed as being eligible to receive full funding from Student Finance England.

You will not need to make an application to be considered for this bursary. We use the information you have provided to UCAS and Student Finance England to assess your eligibility.

Please make sure that you:

• Apply for your student loans as soon as possible.
• Apply for means-tested support and agree to Student Finance England sharing the information you (or your parent/guardian). provide about household income (we need this information to assess your eligibility and we can only see it if your permission has been given).
• Contact Student Finance England if you are not sure whether you have given this permission.
• EU students should complete an EU Higher Education bursary application form when you apply to Student Finance England. This will be used to assess your household income and eligibility for this bursary.

We will generally email you in the autumn term of the year you start your course to confirm whether you will receive this bursary.

City College Hardship Fund

If you get into financial difficulty, or find yourself unable to cover costs while completing your course, you may be eligible for financial help from our Hardship Fund. Further information will be available to you from the HE Academic Office whilst you are on your studies.

Other Sources of Funding:

Widening Participation

City College is committed to widening participation, ensuring that students from disadvantaged backgrounds can access higher education, get the support they need to succeed in their studies and progress to further study and highly skilled employment. To further this, there will be a number of strategies in place to support students with the following backgrounds:-

• Students coming from areas classified as having low participation rates in higher education.
• Students in receipt of DSA or who may be academically challenged by periods of ill health.
• Care leavers.

Council Tax Certificates

We can provide all full-time students with a Council Tax Certificate which may exempt you from paying local council taxes. Your local council will be able to tell you whether you can claim the exemption.

The information above is accurate at the time of going to publication but may be subject to change during the academic year.