Introduction to PHP-MYSQL (Apr '17)
Course code: COM405
Course category: Part-time
Starting month: April
Hours: 6pm - 9pm (starts: 27/04/2017)
Days of the week: Thursday
Course duration: 8 weeks
To provide a practical introduction to programming server side applications with PHP and MySQL.
Server side processing is at the core of many websites we use every day; whether it is shopping online, booking a plane ticket online, or simple leaving a message on your favourite social media site.
- Revision of HTML basics. The basics of coding a webpage by hand.
- Programming with PHP – forms and variables. How to get data from the browser to your PHP script and do simple calculations.
- Programming with PHP – environment variables, decisions and loops. What PHP can find out about the user's computer. Making your PHP script repeat things and decide things (e.g. is this password correct?).
- PHP and file handling. Making PHP write data to disk and read data from disk. Using PHP to let the user upload files to your site.
- Session variables. These carry information between pages; e.g. a shopping basket.
- Introduction to databases with MySQL. What is a database? Basic database design. How to create a database. How to search a database. How to update a database.
- Integrating PHP and MySQL – data retrieval. How to search an SQL database (e.g. what books are available by Terry Pratchett?), and return the results to a webpage. What Amazon does every day.
- Integrating PHP and MySQL – updating. Adding new content to your database and removing old content.
- AJAX. AJAX allows the server to only update part of a webpage rather than create a whole new page.
- PHP and objects. We will look at objects and other ways of making your PHP code more understandable and easy to maintain.
Facilities for students:
Cafeteria open until 8pm
Awarding Body: 0 - Non applicable
You must be competent using folders, editing text and navigating around the c: drive
Familiarity with HTML and CSS is an advantage, but not essential, as the course concentrates on processing data rather than webpage design.
For further information on entry requirements please see this page.
Costs of your Course:
There are five parts to the cost of your course:
- Tuition Fees
- College registration
- Awarding Body registration
- Resource Fee
- Exam / Assessment Fees
How much will the Tuition Fees cost?
Below are the fees for this course.
Home/EU students tuition fees (per year): £295
Financial assistance information.
Part-time course fee guide.
How to apply for part-time courses.
City College Brighton - Part-time course - Introduction to PHP-MYSQL (Apr '17)
Although the information given is believed to be correct at the time of publication, it does not form any part of a
contract between City College Brighton and Hove and the student. Courses may be subject to change.
Timetables are subject to change and you should check with your tutor prior to enrolment for the details of your timetable.