An exciting opportunity for employers, students and staff
City College are always keen to offer our students and staff work placements and industrial updating opportunities.
This is an exciting opportunity for employers, students and staff alike to gain something valuable with long term ramifications for the business. If you are able to offer a placement to either one of our students or a member of staff or would be interested in discussing this further we would be glad to hear from you.
What is a work placement?
A work placement is when an employer takes on an unpaid member of staff to work for their company over a short period of time. This staff member is usually a student, studying for a qualification relating to the industry in which the employer operates.
There are many benefits of work placements to employers:
- Help to encourage enthusiastic individuals into your industry. Research shows that young people and adults are strongly influenced by work based experiences
- Give you an opportunity to find good staff without incurring a financial risk
- Allow students to sample their chosen industry before committing to an apprenticeship or full-time post, this helps to reduce the drop out rate
- Give employers the opportunity to raise the skill level of young people and adults, contributing to their current education and improving their future employability
- Help to raise the profile of your industry within the local community and demonstrate that you are a caring employer
- Can be of benefit to your existing employees, giving staff the chance to develop their skills in supervisory, support and training roles
In turn, employers that offer work placements have a number of responsibilities:
- To identify opportunities for what should be learned and what skills can be passed on, possibly concentrating on areas that require new labour either now or in the future
- To hold a pre-placement meeting with the candidate to find out if they fit in with you and your team
- To be prepared to commit resources, including staff and time, to training, supervising and mentoring the work placement student
- To provide a thorough induction including all Health and Safety issues
If you are interested in offering work placements, please contact City College's Employer Engagement Leader Sarah Easy on 01273 667788 x 617 or email firstname.lastname@example.org